Annie's Adventures!

Monday, July 24, 2006

June 22
My day began in Dallas. Then New York City. And as soon as our plane arrived in Zurich, Switzerland, we hopped straight on a train to Stutgart, Germany to see a World Cup match. Well, we didn't actually ever go inside the stadium, but we definitely experienced the insanity of "football" in Europe.

We ate a traditional German meal with all the Ausies and crazy Croatians who were there to watch their game. We even tried Germany beer, but it was a bit too strong for our tastebuds.

I know I shouldn't be surprised by how friendly everyone is here, but I can't help being shocked to experience more than the southern hospitality I grew up with. We've met so many people on the train and in the city, and it's so evident that everyone is interested in everyone else's story! I love that sense of camaraderie that is instantly established among travelors. I also love learning about the lives of people so different than me. I think that is why I have such a passion for journalism. Even though I can't be a rural farmer, a teacher at an inner-city school, a professional firefighter and a human rights lawyer all at the same time, at least I can learn about the lives of all those people through interviews for articles. The same idea applies to tragedy and success. I may not know what it feels like to loose a child or win the Nobel Peace Prize, but I can learn through writing stories about people who do.

I think that will be one of the greatest things about this trip.... meeting so many interesting people who lead lives so far from mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home