August 1
Today we went to Dachau concentration camp... well, former camp, now memorial. I found it so strange that it didn't really rain anywhere I was for the last 5 weeks, but it was cold and rainy the entire time we were at the camp.
I was expecting the campgrounds to be very disturbing. I thought the remains of what happened there so many years ago would create a certain feeling about the place and would still be present today. Everything did seem dead, like I expected, but the cruel way in which everyone and everything had died seemed to have been buried too.
If it weren't for the audio tour and museum, I wouldn't have been able to truly picture the horror of it all. I find it somewhat admirable that the country created memorials in places like Dachau. It seems like it would be so hard to accept.
Now I am on a train on my way to Venice. German trains are so much nicer than Italian trains, so when I saw I was going to be on a German train I was so excited... well of course my seat is in is in the very back car. I keep walking and walking until I reach the very end. My car is the absolute last one and the ONLY Italian car on the whole train! Now I am cramped and sweaty on the only small, un-airconditioned car in the whole trian.
But it's better than my train from Paris to Munich, where there weren't enough seats so I was stuck in the accordian connector area between cars sitting on my suitcase with 4 other people in the stale heat for 6 hours. That was the worste!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home